Getting a vaginal yeast infection, while not fun, is quite common and easily treated. It is important to know that all healthy vaginas contain some yeast cells along with bacterial cells. The balance between bacteria and yeast can alter. When this happens, yeast cells multiply and this leads to swelling of the vagina, itching, and a general sense of irritation in and around the vagina. Mild yeast infections can be treated and alleviated within a few days, whereas more severe cases can take up to two weeks to heal.
Causes of A Yeast Infection
Vaginal yeast infections can happen even when you are practicing safe sex as they are not qualified as an STI (sexually transmitted infection). It is entirely possible to contract a yeast infection even when you are not sexually active. There are several possible factors that lead to the imbalance of bacteria and yeast in the vagina causing a yeast infection:
- High levels of stress
- Not sleeping enough (7 or more hours a night are recommended for adult women)
- Eating too much-refined sugar
- Taking a course of antibiotics, which throws off your bacterial growth
- Weakened immune system
- Hormonal imbalance, potentially around the time of your menstrual cycle
Treatments for Yeast Infections
If you suspect that you have a vaginal yeast infection, head to your doctor for a diagnosis. They are able to determine the severity and prescribe a medication to help re-balance bacteria levels. Some medications include:
If you want to take a more holistic approach, there are some ways to help your natural bacteria levels that you can try at home.
- Eat Probiotic/Greek Yogurt: be sure the yogurt does not have added sugar.
- Take Probiotics: take with food to increase gut microbiome and help reduce yeast growth in the body.
- Coconut Oil: apply pure, organic coconut oil directly to the infected area for it’s antifungal properties.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: add half of a cup to a lukewarm bath and soak for twenty minutes to help eliminate yeast.
It is common to continue to get yeast infections once you have had one. Knowing how to treat it at home is a helpful and quick solution when this arises. At Blissful, we love to promote homeopathic “solutions” to care for the health of your vagina. We offer natural products to help alleviate vaginal yeast infections such as a soothing spray and suppository with pH balance. For these items and more, visit our shop or ask us a question today. We’re here to help!